Jun 29, 2011

Where Have I been?

Oky, I think it's time for an update because it's been a while. For those of you who do't know I am in Squamish now until the end of August.
To make a long story short... After school I went to Vernon for about a month and basically just kind of hung out worked a little bit to pay for the drive here and such. Life then took me to Squamish where I now reside. I'm currently working at the newspaper here for the Summer and basically just trying to take in all that Squamish has to offer... and I must say; theres alot it has to offer. It's not called the outdoor capital of Canada for no reason. Known mainly for its Climbing, Mountain Biking, and Kite Surfing, theres plenty more that this place has to offer, such as hiking, breathtaking views, rain, lots of rain, wind surfing, tons of events and well you get my point. There's not a day where you can't find anythign to do... hence why my Blog has been lacking updates in the past while. Anyways I thought I'de share some photos and the first few articles I've had published in the Squamish Chief. My first assignment at the chief was to shoot the Test of Metal. for those of you who don't know what the test of metal is, it's only a 67 Kilometre cross country Mountain Bike race with some incredibly tough terrain. I was really excited and happy with the results. (full gallery is available at http://www.squamishchief.com/apps/pbcs.dll/tngallery?Site=GW&Date=20110619&Category=squamish&ArtNo=619009997&Ref=PH).
Anyways I was feeling pretty overwhelmed at first but I'm feeling more comfortable with everything now, I seemed to have settled in alright. My first few articles are up on the Squamish Chief website. If you would like to check it out just go to http://www.squamishchief.com/ and in the search field just type my name : Andre Lodder and my articles (and a few photos) should pop up.

Before I started at the Chief, I hadn't been taking a huge amount of photos. The ones I was taking weren't even what some people call "journalistic" either... but thats okay, I feel that sometimes we just need to shoot what we want to shoot and I was in a pretty big scenic kick for a while and I was fine with that. I think I'de always liked taking scenic pictures, I think its part of the reason I got into Photography in the first place. Either way now that I have been shooting at the Chief the amount of other pictures Iève been taking has dwindled quite a bit. but thats okay, I'm not too worried, I am going to make a concious effort to start gettign my foot in the door for climbing photography.
Speaking of climbing, one of the perks of working as a journalist is the people you meet. I have met a lot of locals here in Squamish and they all seem to be good people. I think my favorite thing so far was an interview with exteemed ice climber Margo Talbot who will be in Squamish for the Mountatin Festival this year. My interview was over the phone as she's not a local here but I look forward to meeting her and hearing her inspiring story. I also look forward to reading her book titled All That Glitters. I wrote a story on her coming to Squamish but it won't be out until Fridays paper so you should check back to the site come friday to read more about her.

So yeah, things are good in the land of Andre. I hope everything is well with everyone reading this, I'm sorry I don't have much to say, alot has happened in the last few months, but I'm tired of writing. I think I'm going to stop dwelling from the past from her on out. However, if anyone has any questions about what I've been up to don't hesitate to ask, Comment below or Send me an email at i-feel-@live.ca. I'de also like to note that I signed up for Twitter, we'll see how that goes. @ndreLodder is where I can be found. I'm gonna try use it n' such but we'll see how active I get... Anyways here are a few photos for your enjoyment. (or atleast i hope you enjoy them)

Thanks,
Andre



 

No comments: